Important Things To Do before A Wildfire
- Clear at least a 10-foot area around your propane tank and gas grill of any debris. Remove anything combustible, such as leaves, brush, vegetation, or rags.
- Make sure the gas grill and all propane cylinders are at least 10 feet from any structure.
- Make sure you have enough propane in your tank to last a few days.
- Review propane safety information we provided you with.
- Make a list of instructions on how to turn off the electricity, propane and water.
Should You Stay or Go?
If a wildfire approaches, you could be in danger. Listen to your local television and radio stations to find out if you must leave your home.
If you decide to stay:
NEVER use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas. This can result in carbon monoxide poisoning or death. These include outdoor portable heaters, barbecue grills, and portable generators.
NEVER use gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
NEVER store or place a propane cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed or tent.
If a wildfire threatens your safety, turn off the gas.
- Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank, if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- Turn off the gas supply valves located near individual indoor appliances. Consult with us to make sure you know where the actual valves are located and how to shut them off.
After the Wildfire Is Over
Use caution when returning to your home:
- DO NOT enter any buildings on your property unless it is safe to do so. If it is dark, use flashlights, not candles.
- Check for downed power lines. Call your power company right away if you see any.
- Inspect your propane tank, appliances, chimneys, flue pipes, and vent connectors. If you see any damage or blockages, call us.
- DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY TO MODIFY OR REPAIR VALVES, REGULATORS, OR OTHER APPLIANCE PARTS.
- If you suspect any of your propane appliances, equipment, or vehicles have been under water or damaged, or you have turned off your gas supply, DO NOT use it until a service technician indicates it is safe.